Wednesday, March 2, 2011

American Idol: Top 12 Girls Recap and What I Thought of the Performances Tonight

Hello again,

It is about that time for the Top 12 girls to perform on American Idol. Like yesterday, I will list the performers, the songs, and my thoughts. As always, you will get Drew's unadulterated views on the contestants.

Note: Some of the YouTube videos have some inappropriate comments. I apologize in advance.

So, without further ado, here we go...

3/2/11


1) Ta-Tynisa Wilson-"Only Girl in the World" by Rihanna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa14VNsdSYM
-Worse than Rihanna, even someone who had nipped a little sip of something would sound better.
-Vocals were all over the place, sounded like a bad karaoke performance.
-She chose the completely wrong song for tonight, especially being her first performance for 20 million plus viewers.

Prediction: Going home, but America will still probably vote her on due to her likability factor.

2) Naima Adedapo-"Summertime"
-Awesome dress she was wearing, wowed that she designed that herself.
-Liked this one. Good vocals on this one.

Steven-I do take you personally, early Ella Fitzgerald, old-timey thing but could be new.
Jennifer-I love to see somebody nail the note at the end. Really good job.
Randy- We saw Fantasia kill this song, what I liked about what you did, enjoyed the second half more than the first.

Prediction: Going through.

3) Kendra Chantelle-"Impossible" by Christina Aguilera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827w-GYQSQE&feature=fvst
-Liked this one also. Sounded like Christina, very good thing.

Steven-Voice hot, clothes hot, the total package
Jennifer-You have heart. You fought your way into the Top 24. I hope that you make it, we are just scratching the surface with you.
Randy- A little worried, Christina did her thing, liked the vibrato. Reminds me of Lauryn Hill. Couple of notes were sharp.

Prediction: Going through. I predict that tonight will be a tough decision on who to vote for.

4) Rachel Zevita-"Criminal" by Fiona Apple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOzayDpWoI
- Pretty strong vocals from someone that age.
- Reminds me of an Alanis Morisette, awesome performance

Steven-I loved your strut, swagger, little too Broadway for me, could be a niche.
Jennifer-This is the first time America is getting to see, how do you want them to see you: as Broadway singer or contemporary artist. Wished we could have seen more.
Randy-Wasn't great, wasn't good. I didn't even know who it was.

Prediction: On the fence.

5) Karen Rodriguez-"Hero" by Mariah Carey (part in English, part in Spanish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IA3ZvCkRkQ
-Loved the part when she switched from English and Spanish.

Steven-Definitely a one of a kind singer. Get together with Jacob Lusk and sing that song together. Amazing.
Jennifer-Wow, wow, wow, wow. Yes, Karen, wow. I mean, that says it all (goosebumps on arms) I loved that you showed who you are. SInging in Spanish sounds beautiful.
Randy-I like that you found a way to figure out to make it for you.

Prediction: Definitely going through.

6) Lauren Turner-"Seven Day Fool" by Etta James (Jully Black's version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlUe-bSEMg
- Another good performance
-Hitting some awesome notes.

Steven-
Jennifer-
Randy-

All of the judges said she was great, and I agree with them. The girls sure are bringing their own against the guys, even giving the guys a run for their money.

Prediction: Going through.

7) Ashton Jones-"Love Over Me" by Monica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCTOMGT9do
-Love this one, definitely sounds like Monica. Other than a couple of pitchy spots, it was amazing.

Steven-You got confidence, you sing so sweet. We found one.
Jennifer-You have all the makings of a diva. Amazing, should be proud.
Randy-I didn't love the song, you are broader and bigger than that. I think, i feel something different from you. Like a Diana Ross.

Prediction: Good performance, but on the fence with this one also.

8) Julie Zorrilla-"Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-3vPxKdj6o
-The judges predicted her to be the winner early on, she has a lot to live up too.
-I personally don't get how the judges thought that early on, based on tonight's performance.
-I don't think she brought anything different to the song.

Steven-Great chorus, but wrong song. If you had took it up a couple of keys, would have been better.
Jennifer-Listen, I liked it, not the best thing we seen you do. Do you really want to break away? it's connecting to the words and bringing it.
Randy-You didn't bring anything new to it. Not as good as Kelly Clarkson. What's gonna make me special

9) Haley Reinhart-"Fallin" by Alicia Keys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urdlvw0SSEc
-Surprised me with the first few notes, ended it amazing.

Steven-Heard just the right amount of style. It was just great.
Jennifer-I agree with Steven. We saw a lot of different colors, the rasp, the notes. Get out of your head just a little bit. What you did at Hollywood Week, that's what we need here.
Randy-It didn't do anything for you. Heard a little Janis, almost like a karaoke thing, didn't get.

Prediction: Should be going through.

10) Thia Megia-"Out Here on My Own" from Fame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mkRwkQRoQ
-Started off a little low, but eventually got some great vocals in afterwards.
-Enjoyed this performance, very good.

Steven-Sometimes a person's pitch can be so perfect, it doesn't matter what they sing. I can't believe you are 15. That was beautiful
Jennifer-It was so beautiful. It was a quiet moment. Captivated every single person in this room.
Randy-The mark of a great singer is the quality and the tone of the voice. Your tone reminded me of the late great Michael Jackson. It doesn't matter what age you are, this is hot.

Prediction: Heck yes, she should be going through. America is crazy if they send her home, but then again, people still watch a drunk disaster of a show, Jersey Shore.

11) Lauren Alaina-"Turn On Your Radio" by Reba McEntire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1dQgE8BmE
-LOVE THIS PERFORMANCE!!!
-Giving this Reba song, which I love, justice. Yes, I just said it, I love Reba!! Shoot me!!!

Steven-Just because you can sing in the stratosphere, doesn't mean you should do it every time. When you don't, I love it. I missed it. You kill me. I loved it.
Jennifer-My little Lauren. You are, you don't even have to try. The voice is so effortless. It is just so amazing how much of a natural talent you are.
Randy-I gotta tell you, you have a natural gift. You have that natural talent. You don't even know how good. Remind me of a combination of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. I am a fan!!

Prediction: If America doesn't vote her through, they are officially stupid and don't know what good music is. Then again, people still buy Ke$ha's records, and without autotune, she couldn't sing while drunk, which half the time I think she is.

12) Pia Toscano-"I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpQ6OESv24A
-Performing a song that Carrie Underwood released a couple of years ago. Covered by Motley Crue.
-Had chills on my neck on this one. Love this song, by the way.

Steven-After Monday and Tuesday, even the week says WTF! Loved it.
Jennifer-Knew you were a standout. Knew you were saving it for one that counts. Out of this world.
Randy-Yo, let me just say something. This is our first standing o. You just put yourself to the top. That is how you do it.

Prediction: She should go to the Top 13. Like I said, it is impossible almost to pick the Top 5 girls, the girls definitely brought it tonight.

My Top Five
1) Lauren Alaina
2) Pia Toscano
3) Thia Megia
4) Karen Rodriguez
5) Haley Reinhart

Ladies and gents, that does it for me. Come back tomorrow night for thoughts and reactions.

D-Rizz Out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment