Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Top 11's Motown Bound: How The Top 11 Did and What I Thought




Good evening, or should I say good morning?! Tonight was the Top 11 Idols night to shine, singing Motown classics sang by some of the greatest singers of our time. Some of the contestants, in what they chose to sing had huge shoes to fill, and they brought what they had to bat and a few knocked it out of the park. Tonight, I will give you my honest opinion, as usual, and I will be brutal like Simon when I have to be. Let's just hope that doesn't have to happen.


To Download The Top 11 Contestants' Performance Compilation:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/american-idol-top-11-season-10/id427868301


The Performances of the Top 11
Casey Abrams American Idol
1) Casey Abrams-"Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye


The Original Version:





  • Worked this week with Huk Harrell
  • First of the night, interesting that he is first to perform for the first time this season.
What Everyone Thought
  • Drew: Wasn't expecting this to be performed all out, but Casey knocked it out of the park. Vocals were pitchy in a couple of spots, but overall an awesome performance. Really gets into his performances and makes them his
  • Steven: You are the perfect entertainer. Perfect mixture of crazy ass out of control ego.
  • Jennifer: You're so specific who you are. You might be the guy right now.
  • Randy: You are a true original. Do you!
His Performance:




My Prediction: He will definitely go on to the Top 11. Voted for him tonight. A unique talent that should go a long way in music. If he stays true to himself musically, he will go far.


To Download His Performance
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-heard-it-through-the-grapevine/id427868244


Thia Megia American Idol
2) Thia Megia-"Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas


The Original Version:


  • First thing I thought of when hearing that she would be singing this song: Sister Act.
    • Take a gander: I apologize for the minor speaking part in the middle of the video, which is in either Italian or Spanish.



What Everyone Thought


  • Drew: I just thought the performance was ok. America loves you, so sing for them.
  • Steven: You've taken a step out. I love it.
  • Jennifer: I need you to dig deeper every week. Part of performing is acting and you have to bring that every time. Now I know you got it in you.
  • Randy: You took a chance tonight. You can really sing. You moved up a notch tonight! Push!
Her Performance


My Prediction: She may be in the Bottom 3. She won't go home, but needs to step it up and perform a song that she can really belt out. I know that she can do like she did the week she performed "Shine," and I missed that tonight in her. 


To Download Her Performance
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/love-is-like-a-heat-wave-american/id427868697

Jacob Lusk American Idol
3) Jacob Lusk-"You're All I Need To Get By" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell


The Original Version






  • Love this song, the original version. First time I even heard the words to this song was with Method Man and Mary J. Blige. The original Motown version is better than Method Man's.
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: He brought the house down again this week. He has consistently performed his hardest, and it completely shows. He took us to church again, and I love it!!
  • Steven: Baby Luther! You held it back! You milked it!
  • Jennifer: You made us beg. You made us beg for those notes. You move me, you move us.
  • Randy: The great Barry Gordy is saying OMG somewhere. You were like a true professional.
His Performance


My Prediction: Will most definitely go on to the Top 10. Voted for him also tonight. He is an amazing talent who does indeed remind me of the late great Luther Vandross. Baby Luther is an excellent nickname for him, and he fits it so well. I look forward to every week to hear what he is going to sing.


To Download His Performance
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/youre-all-i-need-to-get-by/id427868271


Lauren Alaina American Idol
4) Lauren Alaina-"You Just Keep Me Hanging On" by The Supremes


The Original Version:




  • Thought it was awesome to hear that Lauren was going to be singing this song. She definitely has the vocal pipes to sing this one.
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: Knocked it out of the park. Brought her own unique spin to the song and made it her own, while bringing justice to the song and The Supremes
  • Steven: You ripped that song another beauty mark. Every time I hear you sing I can hear you come out a little bit more.
  • Jennifer: You look amazing tonight. So much attitude.
  • Randy: You got your swagger on. You're ready!
Her Performance


My Prediction: Lauren will definitely be going to the Top 10. Voted for her also. Love that she is bringing her signature country vibe to all the things that she sings. She is a powerhouse country diva, and she isn't afraid to show it. 


To Download Her Performance
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/you-keep-me-hangin-on-american/id427868330

Stefano Langone American Idol
5) Stefano Langone-"Hello" by Lionel Richie


The Original Version:



  • Has some big shoes to fill with tonight's performance. Those shoes include the great Lionel Richie and the amazing David Cook.
    • David Cook's performance of this same song: 


What Everyone Thought:



  • Drew: Stefano performed this song adequate, but didn't bring anything new to it, like David Cook did the year he performed the same song.
  • Steven: You ramped up too soon.
  • Jennifer: Alright baby. We want you to connect.
  • Randy: The only thing you're missing is the connection.
His Performance:



My Prediction: Will be in the Bottom 3. Needs to look out, he may have to sing for his life tomorrow night. The judges may have to use the save on Stefano, but doubt that they will.


To Download His Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hello-american-idol-performance/id427868634 


Haley Reinhart American Idol
6) Haley Reinhart-"You Really Got A Hold On Me" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles


The Original Version:



  • Interesting choice of song here. She had her signature growl that she has when she sings but it didn't quite do it for me tonight.
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: Loved that you tried your hardest on the song tonight. Wish you could have opened up more on the performance. Hopefully America lets you show them all you can do.
  • Steven: I felt her! That was beautiful!
  • Jennifer: I think you have the most soulful voice among the girls
  • Randy: It started a little bit rough, but that Haley we loved came roaring back in the middle.
Her Performance:


My Prediction:Could be in the Bottom 3. America may think I'm crazy, but she didn't do it for me this week. She is an awesome performer, but she needs to bring it every week.


To Download Her Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/youve-really-got-a-hold-on/id427868246


Scotty McCreery American Idol
7) Scotty McCreery-"For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder


The Original Version:



  • Had no clue that this was a Stevie Wonder song. Speaks volumes that Stevie's songs can transcend musical boundaries and be made into something new and amazing.
What Everyone Thought

  • Drew: Scotty was amazing. Was thrilled that he chose this song. He made it his own and gave it the signature Scotty style. Thrilled to hear what he performs every week.
  • Steven: That was beautiful! You took a big chance and really ripped it. When you go to your low notes, you tweak everybody.
  • Jennifer: You really made it your own. When you hit the low notes, you get me all over again.
  • Randy: You're taking chances. It felt like the song needed to peak sooner. You are the young ladykiller with the low note.
His Performance


My Prediction: He will make it to the Top 10. Love his signature country style. He has an instrument in his voice, and he uses it in all the right ways. Voted for him also.


To Download His Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/for-once-in-my-life-american/id427868618


Pia Toscano American Idol
8) Pia Toscano-"All In Love Is Fair" by Stevie Wonder


The Original Version:



  • Another song that I didn't know was originally Stevie Wonder's song. Guess I will be listening to some more Stevie Wonder. Seems like an awesome songwriter.
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: First chills of the night. You bring it every week, right on the money. I think you may win this thing. Keep it up!! 
  • Steven: You are the closest star to this American Idol universe
  • Jennifer: You kill us, with your killer ballads. I need now: the other dynamic.
  • Randy: Ballad, ballad, ballad, c'mon give me a mid tempo. You can't live by ballads alone.
Her Performance:


My Prediction: Will make it to the Top 10. She has the vocal pipes of an angel. Very Mariah-esque and Carrie-esque.  However, she needs to perform songs other than ballads. Maybe something up tempo. The three greats, Mariah, Whitney, and Celine all perform different types of songs, such as ballads, midtempo, fast, upbeat, downbeat, and so on. She needs to step it up, or she may bore America with ballad after ballad after ballad. Voted for her also.


To Download Her Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-in-love-is-fair-american/id427868596


Paul McDonald American Idol
9) Paul McDonald-"Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson


The Original Version:



  • Another interesting choice for me. Sounded like a younger Rod Stewart taking a clip out of the Motown songbook for me. Still was an interesting performance, but average for me.
  • This song was also performed by Season 8 Runner-Up Adam Lambert
    • His version: 


What Everyone Thought:



  • Drew: Paul made the song his own, but doesn't compare to the Adam version. Paul is a very good performer, very Rod Stewart-esque. 
  • Steven: Very different, like Dylan, Willie Nelson, just great.
  • Jennifer: You're the most seasoned performer here. You're the complete package. All you need is a good producer and you've got it. 
  • Randy: Did you have a good time? You've got a distinctive kind of voice. When you sing tender...OMG, dude
His Performance:


My Prediction: Will still make it to the Top 10. The judges were excellent in picking him to go through to the Top 24 this year, and I am thrilled he has stayed on this long. Very Ray LaMontagne-esque and Rod Stewart-esque quality in his voice.


To Download His Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-tracks-of-my-tears-american/id427868574


Naima Adedapo American Idol
10) Naima Adedapo-"Dancing In The Streets" by Martha and the Vandellas


The Original Version:



  • After last week's performance, she needed a breakout performance. And she got it tonight. 
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: Much better than last week. Back to the Naima that I love. Keep performing here in this part of your singing, and the audience will love it and love you.
  • Steven: It was e to the z tweedledee. I love the African dance. The whole package!
  • Jennifer: You're an exciting performer. I got the goosies. 
  • Randy: Finally tonight, all of Naima showed up. Everything was smart tonight. 
Her Performance:


My Prediction: Will be in the Top 10. Everything that I wished she would have brought last week, she made up for this week. She is a unique and gifted performer. Very inspirational. Voted for her also.


To Download Her Performance:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dancing-in-the-street-american/id427868573

James Durbin American Idol
11) James Durbin-"Living For the City" by Stevie Wonder


The Original Version:



  • Stevie Wonder and his songs have been popular picks for the Top 11 contestants. There have been a total of 3 contestants who have performed his songs tonight.
What Everyone Thought:

  • Drew: Brought the house down yet again. Never be afraid to show who you are musically. Adam Lambert would be amazed at your vocal pipes. I am!! I am a fan!!!
  • Steven: It takes a little bit of crazy to make it in this world. You nailed it.
  • Jennifer: Soak it up! You are serious business over there. You leave me speechless!
  • Randy: Was a little bit rough for me at the start, but when you hit your high notes, it's unbelievable. I love the note that you landed on.
His Performance:


My Prediction
He will most definitely make it to the Top 10. Voted for him also. He is an amazing talent. He leaves me speechless every time he performs. I really have to think of what I am going to say about his performances. I love every one of them. 

To Download His Performance
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/living-for-the-city-american/id427868280

The Bottom Three for Me:
1) Thia Megia
2) Stefano Langone
3) Haley Reinhart


Who I Think Is Going Home:
Either Stefano Langone or Haley Reinhart


My Picks for The Top 10:
1) James Durbin
2) Lauren Alaina
3) Scotty McCreery
4) Pia Toscano
5) Haley Reinhart
6) Thia Megia
7) Naima Adedapo
8) Paul McDonald
9) Jacob Lusk
10) Casey Abrams


Who I Voted For:
1) Casey Abrams
2) Lauren Alaina
3) Scotty McCreery
4) Pia Toscano
5) Naima Adedapo
6) Jacob Lusk
7) James Durbin
8) Casey Abrams


Until tomorrow, D-RIZZ OUT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment