Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Top 8 Go To The Movies: My Thoughts and Recap


Welcome to another edition of Idol Musings!! Hope you have had a great day and hope you enjoy the show tonight, those of you who are still watching after Pia's shocking exit!!

The Performances


1) Paul McDonald-"Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger from Risky Business

  • 1-866-IDOLS-01, Vote to 5701, Americanidol.com
  • Predicted wrong tonight, thought he would perform "Pretty Woman" from Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison
  • Will have to see if this one is good or not. On the fence, even before the performance
  • Not doing it for me, this one sucks. Takes the life out of the original song. Bob Seger is probably shaking his head right now at the atrocity happening on American Idol first thing tonight.
Drew-For me, man, it didn't do it for me. Vocals were all over the place. Might need to be packing your bags.
Steven-First of all, I wanna borrow that suit. I love your crazy wild abandonment. I liked it.
Jennifer-I have to say, Paul, every time you come out here, you are going further into your performances. Very polished. You did it again this week.
Randy-You first witnessed the first number of the Paul McDonald concert. I love that you are not a typical singer.




Prediction: Should be going home, after that travesty, I can't honestly see how America would vote for him. But, then again, Pia was voted off last week, and everyone thought she was a frontrunner.


2) Lauren Alaina-"The Climb" by Miley Cyrus from Hannah Montana: The Movie
  • 1-866-IDOLS-02, Vote to 5702, or Americanidol.com
  • Predicted this one correctly. This one was spoiled by @MaskedStranger earlier today.
  • This one should be interesting also. I hope that she sings this one better than Miley. I believe that she can. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Miley actually did the original justice. Hope Lauren can live up to or exceed Miley's performance.
  • She did better than Miley Cyrus on this one!!! Love it, love it!!
Drew-You knocked it out of the park, Lauren!! Keep doing what you do and stay true to who you are!!
Steven-I love what you bring to a song, and what a song brings to you. Again, you move me beyond tears.
Jennifer-Hey girl. I loved hearing you sing that!! I love that tear in your voice. You sing it so beautifully, you don't need to get others
Randy-We believed in you since day 1. You made that song sound like you. U did an amazing job.




Prediction: Completely safe, but VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!!!


3) Stefano Langone-"End of the Road" by Boyz II Men from Boomerang

  • 1-866-IDOLS-03, Vote to 5703, Americanidol.com
  • Still not feeling his performances. Tonight's is no different. For some reason, it still feels like something is missing from his performances. Nowhere even close to Boyz II Men's performance of this song.
  • Oversinging the song too much. Do not like it at all!!
Drew-Sorry, but for me, I still didn't feel it. You oversang the notes too much, instead of milking the song, you bled it dry of any redeeming vocals in the song. I know America probably loved it, but I hated it. Embarrassment of a performance.
Steven-You proved that you know how to milk a song. This is so not the end of the road for you.
Jennifer-It's about being a great performer. A few weeks ago, you were in the Bottom 3. You gotta start singing to win. You did it tonight.
Randy-Dude, I'm telling you. Yo, your man, Stefano just slayed the song. You now believe. You made the right move at the right time.




Prediction: Safe, but deserves to go home in my opinion.




4) Scotty McCreery-"I Cross My Heart" by George Strait from Pure Country

  • 1-866-IDOLS-04, Vote to 5704, Americanidol.com
  • Predicted this song right!
  • WOW!! LOVE THIS PERFORMANCE!!
  • George Strait would be proud of your performance!!

Drew-Dude, you nailed it perfectly!! You represented your country roots, and you showed why you're still on this stage. You have the vocal chops and the talent needed to go far in country music.
Steven-Scotty, I just love your voice. You picked the just right song, man. You're good.
Jennifer-Everybody wants us to be tough. But the truth is, ya'll are so damn good!!! All I can say is WOW!! You still performed it beautifully.
Randy-I love you singing George Strait. My motto is "If it ain't broke, don't consider even fixing it." A star is born on this stage. You've grown so greatly since then. Scotty, hot, hot!!







Prediction: Safe, but VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!!!




5) Casey Abrams-"Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole from 

  • 1-866-IDOLS-05, Vote to 5705, Americanidol.com
  • Predicted the artist right, but not the song!!
  • This one is hot!! Very interesting choice of song!!

Drew-You made an awesome choice of sticking to your guns!! Loved the jazz rendition!! Had no clue that you could sing jazz!!!
Steven-You took a song that my mama sang to me as a boy. Truest sense of the word artist.
Jennifer-At the beginning, I was nervous. What's beautiful about this season is we have all of it. What makes a really great artist is you don't have to be a great pop star. You can be jazz. The music itself crosses the boundaries. I hope America got that. You bring that special thing to music.
Randy-What I'm so happy about is we have real true artists this season. I hope America gets this. What I am loving this season is embracing who you are. There is a place for you and a place for this. Genius. What it does for me is make me proud to sit as a judge for artists and pop stars.







Prediction: So thankful the judges saved him from going home!! He is a treasure for American Idol to have. The judges were completely correct about this one!! Safe!!






6) Haley Reinhart-"Call Me" by Blondie from American Gigolo 

  • 1-866-IDOLS-06, Vote to 5706, Americanidol.com
  • Predicted this one right.
  • This one is hot also!! She chose the right song tonight!!
Drew-Haley is hot right here!! What I love about this season is there are so many different styles of music in the competition. I never know what I am going to hear next, and I love it!!
Steven-I agree, this song is like a chorus. I love that thing you got on is gorgeous too.
Jennifer-You know, I love when you start wailing. I agree with Randy. We have strong girl singers and they deserve to be here. It wasn't the best. You're earning your place here. You're a contender to win!
Randy-Honest, I didn't love the beginning of it. It sort of sounded karaoke. It just wasn't a showcase of your voice for me



Prediction: Doesn't look good for the girls this season. Either Lauren or her could go home, because five of the seven girls have been voted off so far this season (Ashthon, Karen, Thia, Naima, and Pia), while the guys have not even been considered to be sent home. If you love Haley and Lauren, VOTE, VOTE, VOTE



7) Jacob Lusk-"Bridge Over Troubled Water" from The Pursuit of Happyness
  • 1-866-IDOLS-07, Vote to 5707, Americanidol.com
  • This one is totally Jacob. Loved every second of the performance.
Drew-Dawg, you slayed it tonight. You had another moment tonight. You just showed America why you deserve to win this competition. WOW!!
Steven-How much of you you put into a song is astounding. Those last three notes and how well you fit in with the choir. God Bless You Man and Your Voice.
Jennifer-You're such a gifted vocalist. It comes from another place. I didn't want you to give me the chills. Congradulations. 
Randy-I listen to every word. A great singer takes every word and it comes out as something special. Great job. Great control. Congratulations!



Prediction: Completely safe, but he was in the Bottom 3 last week. VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!!!



8) James Durbin-"Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar from Heavy Metal
  • 1-866-IDOLS-08, Vote to 5708, Americanidol.com
  • Couldn't believe that he stood up to Jimmy Iovine and Will-I-Am, YES GIVE METAL A CHANCE!!
  • Felt like I was at a rock concert, and James was the artist there. Loved it from the first seconds of the song. 

Drew-DAWG!! You killed it, you slayed the song!! WOW!!! What a way to end the show!!
Steven-Outstanding, you just had to get it out. Glad you went with your feelings. 
Jennifer-That felt really really real. Here, they are killing it here tonight!! Who would have ever thought that we would have had heavy metal on Idol.
Randy-Yo, my God, you guys were just at a James Durbin concert. You did you. I could see you on stage with Ozzy and Avenged Sevenfold.




Prediction: America is stupid if they send him home! American Idol needs an actual heavy-metal and rock winner or runner-up!! Awesome performance!!!

The Bottom 3
1) Haley Reinhart
2) Paul McDonald
3) Stefano Langone

Going Home
Paul McDonald, but it's truly anyone's guess.

My Top 7
1) James Durbin
2) Stefano Langone
3) Jacob Lusk
4) Haley Reinhart
5) Scotty McCreery
6) Casey Abrams
7) Lauren Alaina

D-RIZZ OUT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment