Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Now and Then: The Top 5 Tackle A Song from the 60s and A Modern Song (Idol Musings Part Two: The Recap) (5/4/11)

The Performances

The Modern Songs

1) James Durbin-“Closer To The Edge” by 30 Seconds to Mars

  • 1-866-IDOLS-01 or 1-866-IDOLS-06, Vote to 5701, or vote online at Americanidol.com
  • Thought he would sing Jimi Hendrix, but this song fits him better as who he is as an artist!
  • This song is a nice fit for James. He definitely needs to be singing this kind of music!!

Drew-There were some pitchy moments during your performance, but you did beautifully on the song. Well done man

Steven-I think you kicked that song’s ass! You’re ready for Freddie

Jennifer-We’re feeling it right here. Grab it, take it, take it right here.

Randy-You fit well there. Now you are showing us how you can do as an artist. This guy right here wants it.

“Closer To The Edge”

Prediction: Safe

2) Jacob Lusk-“No AIr” by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown

  • 1-866-IDOLS-02 or 1-866-IDOLS-07, Vote to 5702, or Americanidol.com
  • Not good! Too sharp for me!!

Drew-You may have just sealed your ticket home!!

Steven-We’ve been waiting for you to find a niche. I love your voice. I’m waiting for that song that tells us it’s 100% you.

Jennifer-It’s important to sing the songs your audience wants you to hear!

Randy-I kinda differ with that opinion. I think you are one of the greatest singers. It kinda made the whole thing corny to me! I don’t see you as Chris Brown or Jordin Sparks. It doesn’t wear well. Don’t be the Chris Brown.

The song wasn’t done any justice! Jacob, you’re probably going home tomorrow night!

Prediction: Bottom 2, possibly going home.

3) Lauren Alaina-“Flat On The Floor” by Carrie Underwood

  • 1-866-IDOLS-03, 1-866-IDOLS-08, Vote to 5703, Americanidol.com
  • This song is interesting for Lauren to pick. It shows who she is as an artist!

Drew-Good job Lauren! Continue being who you are!

Steven-The sky’s the limit! I think you’re it!

Jennifer-That’s what we’ve been pushing for. That’s what you have to do every time!

Randy-Listen, man. You know what? That is the direction for you! This direction I agree with you to go 100%. I thought it was amazing! Lauren is in it, ya’ll

Prediction: Safe

4) Scotty McCreery-“Gone” by Montgomery Gentry

  • 1-866-IDOLS-04 or 1-866-IDOLS-08, Vote to 5704, or Americanidol.com

Drew-Good performance. Showed his rocker side, definitely a polar opposite of what he usually does. Reminds me of what Elvis did, with all of the different types of songs that he performed.

Steven-Scotty, my man. You know, that’s what America thinks. Up till now, you’ve been a Puritan. Saw a little of you dancing with the Devil

Jennifer-I lost it for a second. I was so excited. Heard some growling. That is some American Idol stuff right there.

Randy-I felt like we were sitting at Concert Scotty. This guy’s in it to win it too!!

Prediction: Safe

5) Haley Reinhart-“You and I” by Lady Gaga

  • 1-866-IDOLS-05 or 1-866-IDOLS-10, Vote to 5705, Americanidol.com
  • Interesting that she got to do an unreleased Lady Gaga song! AWESOME!!

Drew-Loving this performance!! She did awesome tonight! Lady Gaga, the “Mother Monster,” would be so proud of her!! That was your moment tonight!!!

Steven-I think you put all of Haley in it! I love what you do. I think you’re just one perfect song away from being the American Idol!

Jennifer-Hey Haley! I love the way you sounded. I’m not so sure that that was the best advice that Jimmy gave you. You have to showcase yourself to the country. You have such a great voice. For me, it would have been a better choice if you had chose a well-known song.

Randy-It’s so risky to do something that nobody has ever heard. I don’t know if this thing did you any favors.

Prediction: Bottom two. Possibly going home

 

The Classic Songs

1) James Durbin-“Without You” by Harry Nilsson

  • 1-866-IDOLS-01 or 1-866-IDOLS-06, Vote to 5701, Americanidol.com
  • This performance is so touching! I felt all of that performance! He connected to me completely!

Drew-He just guaranteed that he is a major contender for winning American Idol. He is the total package: the emotion, the artistry, the vocal abilities, just the total package. He has a moment every single week, and this week is no different.

Steven-That’s when your emotions and the song meet together. Your emotions were incredible!

Jennifer-Everybody knows you can sing…into the stratosphere. You are an artist. You are a true, true artist. You are serious about winning this thing. He’s amazing, you guys.

Randy-James, as Steven and Jennifer will attest to, I could feel the emotion. Just fighting back through the emotions, the notes weren’t perfect, but it was emotionally perfect! It’s yours to lose!

Prediction: Safe

2) Jacob Lusk-“Love Hurts” by Nazareth

  • 1-866-IDOLS-02 or 1-866-IDOLS-07, Vote to 5702, or Americanidol.com
  • An interesting choice for Jacob to perform as his classic song.

Drew-I felt the emotion in this performance. This is the Jacob we should have heard earlier. Awesome job on the song, man! He’ll still be in the Bottom 2, though.

Steven-I’m a sucker for passion. What a beautiful delivery. I hope that they could feel that at home like we did here.

Jennifer-You really just brought it home at the end. Really good.

Randy-Let me just say. You redeemed yourself on this song. I could be wrong, but I believe that that was the highest note sang on this stage!

Prediction: Bottom 2

3) Lauren Alaina-“Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers

  • 1-866-IDOLS-03 or 1-866-IDOLS-08, Vote to 5704, Americanidol.com

Drew-Love that she is singing this song! One of my most favorite songs of all time!! She did it complete justice!!

Steven-You’re so right, you’re so there. Still looking for that song that shows who you are.

Jennifer-Nothing to judge there, really. Beautiful song by a beautiful singer.

Randy-This girl can sing like a bird. I’m so happy to see this other side of you. Nice soul.

Prediction: Safe

4) Scotty McCreery-“Always On My Mind” by Elvis Presley

  • 1-866-IDOLS-04 or 1-866-IDOLS-09, Vote to 5704, Americanidol.com

Drew-Love that he’s singing this song! It shows that an artist doesn’t have to sing a “loud” song to prove that he or she can sing! Awesome job of showing the tender side of you again!

Steven-I think we are going to be making it hard for people to vote tonight.

Jennifer-I want to say, between the last song you sang and this one, you can mix it up and captivate the audience. Just so beautiful! Nothing awkward about you up there. Just a true performer.

Randy- We called you our youngest veteran. What you should use every day in your life…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’m happy to see you doing what America will see in concerts.

Prediction: Safe

5) Haley Reinhart-“House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals

  • 1-866-IDOLS-05 or 1-866-IDOLS-10, Vote to 5705, Americanidol.com
  • An interesting and completely unexpected take on The Animals song. Love it. Still in the Bottom Two, though.

Drew-What a way to close the show tonight. Heard some of Adele again in her voice. Awesome performance.

Steven-Sweet and sour, and raspy. That sold everybody tonight.

Jennifer-Whatever that little emotion was in the beginning. That song has never been sang like that before.

Randy-Dude, what I love about this show is every week, somebody has been coming out to slay it. Award for best performance of the night goes to Haley. You are so good now. It’s amazing.

Prediction: Bottom 2

 

The Bottom Two:

1) Jacob Lusk

2) Haley Reinhart

 

Who Is Going Home: Either Haley or Jacob!

 

My Top 4: Either

1) Jacob Lusk

2) James Durbin

3) Lauren Alaina

4) Scotty McCreery

or

1) Haley Reinhart

2) James Durbin

3) Lauren Alaina

4) Scotty McCreery

 

D-RIZZ OUT!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment